What is Manual Lymphatic Drainage?
Manual Lymphatic Drainage is a therapy which is designed to improve the functioning of the lymphatic system, which is part of your circulatory system. Manual Lymphatic Drainage has powerful cleansing, pain relieving, immunological effects and its relaxing. It is a gentle, flowing, rhythmic massage and is used primarily to promote the optimal functioning of the lymphatic vessels that leads to the circulatory systems. Manual Lymphatic Drainage can facilitate the removal of metabolic wastes, excess water, toxins, bacteria, protein molecules and foreign substances from tissue via the initial lymph vessels and the venous capillaries’.
Manual Lymphatic drainage relaxes the sympathetic nervous system, reduces pain and enhances the activity of the immune system.
Benefits of lymphatic drainage?
- Lymphatic drainage massage can be especially useful for individuals who seem to suffer regularly from common illness like colds and flu
- Pre/post operative cases, in particular where lymph nodes have been removed such as post cancer where the lymphatic system is impaired in some way.
- It is recommended for people who lead sedentary lifestyles or those who want to reduce puffiness or swelling in areas such as legs, ankle and puffy eyes.
- Stress, anxiety and tension
- It has also been cited as having a positive effect on: Dysfunctional respiratory systems
- People with low energy
- Before or after a long-haul flight
Lymphatic drainage massages boosts the immune system as well to help the body ward off illness and a treatment can facilitate general feelings of health and vitality. It can also have a positive physical effect, improving the appearance of the skin and reducing puffiness caused by water retention, poor circulation or pregnancy.
Why should i choose manual lymphatic drainage?
Because of today’s lifestyles which highly processed foods can be a part of, it can put undue stress on the lymphatic system with excess wastes and toxins floating around the system plus not enough water or fluid intake, it can cause a sluggish lymphatic system. So any person choosing Manual Lymphatic Drainage can benefits as part of a detoxification program as it can improve energy, increase cellular oxygenation thus building immunity up.
This treatment is incredibly relaxing and you may fall asleep drift off into a highly relaxed state because of relaxing, slow and rhythmic motions involved as these techniques stimulate the movement of the lymph through the lymph vessels.