What does your Healthy Eating Plan look like?
I say healthy eating plan because I just don’t believe in quick fixes and gimmick diets – they don’t work in the long term. In fact the word ‘diet’ is derived from the Greek word diaita meaning ‘Way of Life’ or ‘Mode of Living’.
So questions that you will need to ask yourself:
- How does your eating patterns fit your lifestyle?
- Do you feel better with 3 substantial meals a day or maybe 5 smaller meals a day?
- Do you eat out in restaurants often?
- What types of fruit and vegetables do you like
- What combination of foods do you need to each day if you have a weight loss goal plan?
A healthy diet should give you 5-9 servings of fruit and vegetables a day – 25-38 grams of fibre, 5 or 6 ounces of lean protein per day and omega-3 essential fatty acids. You need to enjoy the foods you eat so if you love a beefburger that’s ok! But make them at home if you can and look at the portion size of what you are eating………use a whole grain roll and look at the size of the burger (not a big whopper covered in cheese)! Add lots of lettuce, tomato, salad and onion and instead of fries maybe have sweet potato wedges instead or salad – ask yourself do you want the fries or are they just a habit?
Tips & Hints for preventing a moment on the lips and lifetime on the hips!
- Make up crunchy raw green beans or carrot and celery instead of chips and service with a little of your favourite dip
- Choose wholegrain rice, pasta and bread instead of white and refined
- Skip the sugary deserts and have a small dish of fresh berries with vanilla yogurt and a sprinkling of chopped nuts and seeds
- Use lemon juice instead of oil for a sald dressing
- Eat lean protein and turkey mince is a great alternative to beef and lower in fat too!