Hey there, fabulous ladies! Gather ’round because we’re about to embark on a journey through the fascinating world of menopause and our gut, as we age there are shifts in our gut microbiome but it’s not as gloomy as it might seem! Imagine us, our gut microbes, and a whole lot of laughter. Buckle up for this adventure with a sprinkle of humour and a dash of fun! 🌟😄
First things first, let’s demystify our gut microbiome – that bustling little universe inside us. It’s like a bustling city, processing fibre, amino acids, and even hormones! Yes, hormones – those magical molecules that make us feel unstoppable. But during menopause, these hormones decide to play hide and seek, causing our gut to throw a little tantrum. Bloating, constipation, and acid reflux? Oh, the joys of womanhood! 😅 It appears that fluctuations and then the eventual drop in the two hormones during menopause can slow down the bowel movements, increase the food transit time and alter the bowel microbial flora.
But hey, fear not! There’s a way to keep our digestive system happy and our waistlines fabulous. Enter phytoestrogens – the superheroes mimicking our lost hormones. Think tofu, tempeh, and miso, swooping in to save the day and keep our bellies in check. 🍜🥢
Oh, but that’s not all! We’ve got to pamper our friendly gut bacteria. How, you ask? By indulging in fermented foods like sauerkraut, kefir, and kombucha – our gut’s version of a gourmet feast. And if fermented foods aren’t your cup of tea, a probiotic supplement might just do the trick. And don’t forget the golden rule: stay hydrated, ditch the cigarettes, catch those Zs, and keep the wine glasses modestly filled. 🍷💧
Let’s talk about filling our plates with a rainbow of goodness to keep our bodies and spirits high. Here’s a delicious checklist for you! 🌽🍎🥦
- Vegetables and Fruits Galore: Dive into a colourful array of vegetables and fruits. Think vibrant greens, juicy oranges, and everything in between! They’re like nature’s multivitamins, packed with essential nutrients to keep you feeling fabulous. 🍇🍆🍊
- Beans, Pulses, and Legumes: These little powerhouses are not just tasty but also fantastic sources of protein and fiber. Whether you’re a fan of chickpeas, lentils, or black beans, they’ll keep you full and satisfied. Plus, they’re great for your gut! 🥗🍲
- Good Quality Oils: Say hello to the good fats! Olive oil, coconut oil, flaxseed oil, and sesame oil are your kitchen BFFs. They add a burst of flavour to your dishes and come with a host of health benefits. Drizzle, sauté, or dress – these oils are your secret to scrumptious meals. 🥗🍳
- Whole Grains for the Win: Steel-cut oats, barley, and brown rice are your golden ticket to B vitamins. They’re like a natural energy boost, helping you tackle the day with a smile. Plus, they’re gentle on your digestive system, making them perfect for any meal. 🍚🥣
- Fibre-Rich Feasts: Artichokes, oh how we adore you! These wonders support liver detoxification, ensuring that your body stays in top-notch shape. And we can’t forget the leafy greens like spinach – they’re packed with folic acid, which is fantastic for your heart and mood. A happy heart and a happy mind – what more could we ask for? 🥗💚
Reduce menopausal bloating
Now, let’s tackle the post-meal bloating situation. Ever heard of plant-based Digestive Enzymes? Pop one of those miracles before digging into your meal, and voila! Your stomach and waistline will thank you, and you can bid farewell to that uncomfortable bloating dance. 💃🎉
What to drink (and what not to) during menopause
And what about beverages, you ask? Say no to drowning your meals in water – it dilutes your stomach acid! Instead, sip on herbal teas like ginger, peppermint, and chamomile. They’re like soothing lullabies for your tummy, calming it down after a spicy meal. ☕🍵
And don’t forget to chew! Your stomach does not have teeth. Chew each mouthful of food until it resembles a paste, then swallow it. Think – drink your food and chew your drinks. Cut down on your caffeine too. I love my one cup of coffee a day, strong with hot almond milk, but I do have to be careful as I cannot tolerate too much caffeine. Like alcohol, it would trigger a hot flush.
But amidst all this, let’s not forget that menopause is like a rollercoaster ride – sometimes exhilarating, sometimes stomach-churning. But armed with the right knowledge and a sprinkle of humour, we can conquer it all! So, let’s embrace this transition, dance with our gut bacteria, and toast to a happy and healthy menopause. 🎊🌼